Monday, January 17, 2011

MoonGlows, Wooden Ballerinas, DragShow


LIE: When in windy weather, the hair must be put up.
LACE:(The beautiful, yet delicate truth to the typical hair myths that girls often buy into) Your hair does not have to be boring on windy days! Wind is all the more reason to get creative with your styling so that your hair looks fantastic, but stays out of your face when needed.
Here are my inventive ways to keep hair back in a stylish way.
Headband from So Good Collections
HOW TO: Here, I let the head band do the work.
I scrunched my hair before hand so that it had a bit of a natural wave with a textured look.
After putting on the head band, I pushed it a bit too far back and then pulled it forward so as not to leave my bangs with a slicked back tightness.
I combed my hair that I was going to bobby pin back to make it bumpless, then spray it.
Taking hair in one hand as if it is going into a ponytail, push hair forward.
Bobby pin and spray!
TIP: When pushing hair forward before bobby pinning it, it is typical to get bumps or spots where your hair will separate to the right or left, leaving an unwanted part.
To fix such, simply comb the bump or unwanted part until it looks as desired and spray it in place. Then proceed to push hair forward, bobby pin, and spray!

My mom is used to wearing her hair down. All the time. Except when she gets me to do it, typically on vacation days. This was a new look for her. Many gals feel like they cannot wear their hair more than one way because they cannot fix it or perhaps they just aren't used to a different style. Experiment! Try new things without making them completely new. The way I did this for my mom is by keeping her bangs down which softened the look.
HOW TO: Take hair from one side or the other and twist it toward the center of your head.
Take a section from the opposite side, pull it underneath the twist, wrapping around it, and then twist the whole new twist in the original way, toward the center of your head.
Continue this, adding sections from alternating sides until you've added all your hair.
Then, continue twisting all your hair until it starts to turn.
At this point you can either tuck the hair, like I did here on my mom's hair, or you can continue twisting it until you have made a bun.
TIP: Longer hair will work better being twisted into a bun, especially if you have thick hair like mine. In that case, there is no way your hair will simply tuck under without lots of work!
I tucked my mom's hair on the right side of her twist and bobby pinned it.
Thoroughly spray!
Finish by fixing your bangs how you want them and then spray once more all over!

This is a horrid picture of me, but I adore it of my mother.
It also shows how her bangs look in the front.
Head band from Target dollar section!
Here, my mom asked me to do her hair the same as I had the night before because she liked the look so much.
But, I am sporting a bit of a different way of keeping your hair back.
It is the same general concept as before, but no bobby pins.
My bangs gave my hair the body it has, starting after the head band.
For those with longer bangs or no bangs to give body when pushed back like this, take a thin layer of your hair that will be on top and behind the headband and tease it lightly or depending on how your hair holds, just spray it up a bit.
Push it up (just with your hand flat on your head), and spray again.
TIP: Make sure not to use too much spray or else your hair will have no body because it is too heavy. How much is too much? For thin hair it is so easy to spray too much, be extremely careful! Thicker hair can withstand almost as much spray as your lungs can.

Hat from Miami FL, SouthBeach street fair
One more easy way to keep the untamed hair under locks is a hat! Any style, any wear, any way!
Happy styling!
A Special Thanks to Chris Davenport for the Photography in most of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment